Complaining to an

oversight agency

When a complaint reported to the police station, or the Provincial Commissioner, has not resulted in any action, then complaints can be made to one of the external accountability agencies.

For complaints about serious police misconduct and criminality, including deaths in police custody or because of police action, discharge of an official firearm by an officer, rape, torture and assault (while in the execution of their duties), please refer to the details below.

Independent Police Investigative Directorate:



Tel: 021 941 4800

Complaints against human rights violations:

South African Human Rights Commission


Tel: 021 426 2277

Fax: 021 426 2875

Complaints about police corruption:

Public Service Commission


National Anti-Corruption Hotline

Tel: 0800 701 701